Friday, July 5, 2013

The Drowning

I awake to a mighty struggle.  A battle requiring all my strength.  I'm in a pool fighting with a man, I know not who, holding him under the water.  His strength is equal to mine if not superior.  As the struggle continues I grow weaker as his strength increases until his face breaks the surface of the water.  I revolt in horror as I gaze upon my diseased self.  This revelation weakens my resolve.  As I begin losing the battle two arms wrap around me, nail stained hands grasps my wrists.  This helper's strength takes over where mine fails me.  He drives the diseased Adam of myself under the surface of the water and holds me there until all struggle ceases.  He is drowned, the victory won until I awake once again to the daily struggle....

Luther's Small Catechism

Question:  What does such baptizing with water indicate?
Answer:  It indicates that the Old Adam in us should by daily contrition and repentance be drowned and die with all sins and evil desires, and that a new man should daily emerge and arise to live before God in righteousness and purity forever.

Romans 6:4  "We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live in a new life."

No comments:

Post a Comment